Wednesday, March 21, 2012

red chairs!! RED chairs!!!

I've had a thing for red lately....I've never really been a RED kinda girl....but as most things do....I have changed!!! It started with a red wall....seen here....and it really opened me up to exploring options...I have had the pretty formal living room with red rose accents, pictures of roses, pillows with red roses...WHY have I never made the color really pop before???
Let me start by saying I have a few more projects before the red chairs will make their true impact - but it's a start....I need to paint a table and a china cabinet (yes...another one) and my plan will be complete!

Here is my current - eh - er - dining area???
Sad isn't it?? The table is currently dark brown, the chairs are a blond ugly fake wood looking color and they are all shrouded in horrible cover ups to hide the fact that they don't match...oh ya...and there is china covering the table...(waiting to be put into the cabinet I still need to paint...but I digress)
SOOOOOOOOOOO-Red Chairs I shall have! and I shall show you how!!!
*~~*~~*~~*~*~*~*~~*~~*~~*~*~*~*~~*~~*~~*~*~*~*~~*~~*~~*~*~*~*~~*~~*~~*~*~*~
First....I spray painted the chairs a solid red....then brushed them a similar red. I thought I'd be done..

But if you know me, or have seen any of the other posts....you know...oh you KNOW I cant have solid color anything...especially not red chairs!!!! Sooo - out comes my trusty partner in crime....

yes...the sander...oh how I love her petite size and distressing power....so we did our best to distress...and were left with chairs that had distressed accents like this:
now....this is nice...but I REALLY don't like that "blond" color wood...so...I grabbed a new BFF

Annie Sloan is the fabulous inventor of chalk paint, and also makes a fabulous wax to go over it...could it work with my non chalk paint? Only one way to find out....
I dipped a brush into the soft wax (PS use a throw away brush...clean up is no fun)
I put the wax thickly on the distressed parts and let it sit for about 30 seconds
then brushed it upward and downward to blend it in (not a good pic...but i was taking the picture of my hand with my other hand...) and I had a "helper" wanting attention....
Yes...Cappy...thinks it's all about him.sheesh.anyway...here is a chair with wax(R) and one without(L)

I just like the depth of distressing and waxing better than a plain ol' chair...don't you??
You'll have to wait until all pieces are done to get the full effect but for now........
ta daaaaaaaaaa!!



No comments:

Post a Comment