Saturday, February 11, 2012

Making new art out of old canvases

I'm on a "making art" spree....We are moving to a new office for work and I,of course, get to decorate it!! My budget is limited so I started thinking of what I could do for cheaper - (the chipper chicken I like to say-Father of the Bride anyone?) I knew we needed some wall hangings, pictures, etc. But that stuff is expensive!!! So thrift store here I come!!!
I spotted some "lovely" paintings someone had done on unframed stretched canvas. There were trees and boats and gardens and abstract. They were marked at $2.00 each...SOLD!! I bought four of them. I didn't take before pics though...let's just say they were some one's beginning paintings. I started by painting them all an off white. Took two coats of spray paint. Next was to figure out what to do with them. A painter I am not. Crafty and artsy are two different things....
If you saw the other post I made art you know I am now loving vinyl wall art and creatively using it. So...I thought I would buy a large piece and stretch it between two (or three) canvases. Although, then I got an idea to use the vinyl as a stencil....
Eiffel Tower

stuck to three canvases (I just cut the vinyl between the canvases)

robins egg blue spray paint

I then spray painted over the vinyl

then painted over it with spa blue...

added aging with walnut ink and removed the "stencil"

hmmm, ya...don't like it...AT ALL...
SOOOOOO - not being swayed by my mistake....I rushed out to Joann with my 40% off coupon and bought ANOTHER Eiffel Tower Vinyl stick on...and here we go again....

painted over with spa blue..

applied aging and my SECOND vinyl Eiffel Tower

Isn't the detail in the tower much better than just a white blah??

I sealed it all in with mod podge which made the cool streaking effect...

Here is the finished-er-second finished product...
Ta daaaaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment